Fatigue and sleep deprivation can have dangerous repercussions for long-haul drivers. Recognising this, the EU is attempting to improve road safety by introducing rules on driving and rest times for truck and bus drivers. These regulations will allow for greater flexibility, which will benefit both drivers and businesses alike.
Introduced on the 20th of August, these new rules include a requirement for drivers to ‘return home’ every four weeks. The governance also compels employers to seek accommodation for long-haul drivers – thus eliminating the detrimental practice of forcing drivers to sleep in their vehicles.
This means that all drivers must take the following when operating in any EU country:
- At least 11 hours rest every day – you can reduce this to 9 hours rest, 3 times between any 2 weekly rest periods
- An unbroken rest period of 45 hours every week – you can reduce this to 24 hours every other week
- A break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes after no more than 4 hours 30 minutes driving
- A weekly rest after 6 consecutive 24-hour periods of working, starting from the end of the last weekly rest period taken
The main EU rules on driving hours are that you must not drive more than:
- 9 hours in a day – this can be extended to 10 hours twice a week
- 56 hours in a week
- 90 hours in any 2 consecutive weeks
All driving done under EU rules must also be recorded on a tachograph.
Using the TrackTrans ePOD app, operators are able to accurately monitor drivers’ working hours, via the activity recording module. The status of each employee is recorded by selecting one of either the ‘WORK’, ‘POA’, ‘BREAK’, ‘STOP’ tabs at the top of the screen. The data is returned live to TMS and can be displayed back in the office. If required, the information can be used to inform the payroll system.
Our software enables you to ensure that your drivers are corresponding to the newly enforced EU rules. The application’s simple messaging system also gives you the ability to remind specific employees of the regulations, if required.
Get started with TrackTrans today and try our free demo!